Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer - Some thoughts

So, there's a new trailer for the new Ghostbusters film coming out next year.



I love Ghostbusters. I love the films, the pre-Q5 episodes of The Real Ghostbusters, the videogame, I'm dressed up as one on numerous occasions (which reminds me, I need to do a blog on my Proton Pack I built for Portsmouth Comic Con!) And I have far too many of the toys, so what do I think of this trailer?

Well, to be honest it's too early to say. After being burnt by the trailers for the Phantom Menace back in the 90s I've stopped getting excited about films based on their trailers, but I know that these days we have to make snap judgments about things, so if I had to I'd say... It's different.

We've only really had two 'proper' Ghostbusters movies (don't get me wrong, I quite like the 2016 version, it just needed a polish before release), so it's hard to say what works as a Ghostbusters film. The videogame managed to capture the feel of the first two, but a lot of that came from aping the first one, with the same settings and rematches against Slimer and Stay Puft. Ghostbusters 2 essentially being the first one again meant that a Ghostbusters movie must be set in New York, have the team trying to convince a government official that they're for real, then deal with the big supernatural incursion at the end. 

This film, however, is set in a small town, featuring kids. This immediately makes you think of Stranger Things, and featuring one of the cast only adds to that. This is likely to be controversial with the fans, who want to see adult Ghostbusters rather than the Junior Ghostbusters.

However, as Phelous pointed out over on twitter, it's very likely that everything we've seen is just from the first 20 minutes, and the movie may be totally different once it actually gets going. We'll just have to see.

Comments